Rome from the Giardino degli Aranci, Mount Aventine
Photograph by David Hill taken 11 April 2015, 16.21 GMT
The Giardino degli Aranci, or Parco Savello as it is also called, was created as a public park and belvedere in 1937. It commands one of the best panoramas in modern Rome and provides a calm retreat under its orange trees. In Turner’s day there was no public access to these gardens and he had to be content with sketching the view in TB CLXXXI 42a-43, 44 from the cobbled roadway below, the Clivo di Rocca Savella. At the centre of this photograph the domes of San Carlo Catinari (nearer) and Santa Andrea della Valle (further away) are directly in line, with San Carlo perfectly hiding Santa Andrea. In Turner’s sketch Santa Andrea comes out slightly to the right. In his later sketch from Santa Alessio, (see below) Santa Andrea comes out clear to the left.