The Isola Tiberina, Rome, from the Ponte Garibaldi
Photograph by David Hill, taken 12 April 2015, 14.12 GMT
To the left is the Ponte Fabricus, the oldest surviving bridge in Rome, and to the rights is the Ponte Cestio. The latter was rebuilt with three even arches in the 1880s. Beyond it is the campanile of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, with, just to the left, the circular so-called Temple of Vesta, now identified as the Temple of Hercules Victor. Turner’s sketches were taken from the left bank of the river for the Ponte Garibaldi was built much later in 1884-88. The new bridge was part of an extensive programme of embankment and flood defences during which the old riverside mills shown in Turner’s sketches were removed.